Deadline for submissions 4 May
ACEARTS AND SOMERSET WILDLIFE TRUST ARE WORKING IN PARTNERSHIP TO ORGANISE A NEW BRITISH WILDLIFE OPEN EXHIBITION TO SHOWCASE SOME OF THE BEST CONTEMPORARY ART INSPIRED BY BRITAIN’S DIVERSE WILDLIFE.
We hope this exhibition will inspire more people to enjoy and appreciate the wildlife to be found in Somerset and beyond.
BRITISH WILDLIFE OPEN 2018 | CALL FOR ENTRIES
THE BRITISH WILDLIFE OPEN IS A NEW EXHIBITION TO CELEBRATE THE BEST OF BRITISH WILDLIFE ART. BOTH ESTABLISHED, EMERGING AND AMATEUR ARTISTS, WHETHER THEY ARE LIVING IN SOMERSET, ELSEWHERE IN BRITAIN OR THE WORLD, ARE INVITED TO ENTER UP TO FIVE WORKS WHICH DEPICT BRITISH WILDLIFE.
We encourage artists working in all media (including photography) to enter original artworks. All works must be available to purchase during the exhibition, which will take place 6 October to 3 November 2018 at ACEarts, Somerton.
Submissions can be made via our online form here.
Each artist may submit up to five works (painting, sculpture, photography, printmaking etc). Each entry requires a good quality photograph of the original work (8×10 inch print on photographic paper if by post) or online submission (JPG max 5MB). Each photograph must be clearly labelled on the back with artist name, title of work, media used and price (including 45% commission). If you wish us to return your photograph please enclose a SAE. If your work is selected you will be asked to send a high resolution image for print purposes.
Entry form and fee
The entry form must be completed and returned with the entry fee: £10 per work. Fees may be paid by BACS for the credit of Art Care Education, account number 60032464, sort code 60-80-06 and please include the name of the artist as a reference, or by cheque payable to Art Care Education and please write the name of the artist on the back.
All entry forms, cheques/payment by BACS and submissions, whether via the website or by post, must be received by ACEarts at British Wildlife Open 2018, ACEarts, Market Place, Somerton, Somerset TA11 7NB by Friday 4 May 2018.
Selection will be made by:
Simon King OBE, Wildlife film-maker and Patron, Somerset Wildlife Trust
Stewart Geddes PRWA, President, Royal West of England Academy
Frank Martin, Trustee, ACEarts
Nina Gronw-Lewis, Curator, ACEarts
Katie Arber, Director of Fundraising and Marketing, Somerset Wildlife Trust
We will employ a two-step selection process:
- Initial selection will be made from the submissions.
- Successful applicants will be required to bring the original work(s) to ACEarts to be prepared for final judging (delivery Sunday 13 May 11am–4pm unless by prior arrangement).
Successful entrants will be notified of final selection decisions by Tuesday 29 May 2018.
ACEarts reserves the right not to hang all selected works whether this is due to lack of space or any other factor which may affect the overall nature of the exhibition. The decision of the Curator is final. ACEarts and Somerset Wildlife Trust cannot enter into any correspondence or discussion over the decisions made by the Curator.
Exhibition and top prize
The artist selected as the overall winner of the British Wildlife Open will win a solo exhibition at ACEarts in 2019. A People’s Prize will also be awarded following voting by exhibition visitors.
Delivery of requested final selection work
If your work has been selected or reserved for exhibition, please deliver it to ACEarts, Market Place, Somerton TA11 7NB on Monday 1 October 10am–5pm. Your work must be ready to exhibit and be unpacked upon delivery. If your work is heavy please bring assistance with you. No work will be accepted any other day unless by prior arrangement.
Post exhibition collection of work
All unsold work to be collected Friday 5 November 10am–5pm unless by prior arrangement. Uncollected work will be sold and proceeds will go to ACEarts and Somerset Wildlife Trust.
Work selected will be insured by ACEarts for the duration of the exhibition. Whilst every care will be taken in the housing and handling of work, no responsibility will be accepted by ACEarts or Somerset Wildlife Trust for any damage that might occur. Artists should insure their work for the period of transit.
Photographs of artworks submitted and photographs taken of work during the exhibition may be used in promotional material to advertise the gallery, exhibition and work of ACEarts and Somerset Wildlife Trust.
All funds raised through entry fees, commission from the sale of exhibited works and proceeds from the sale of unsold uncollected works, will be shared equally (50% each) by ACEarts (registered charity number 1166886) and Somerset Wildlife Trust (registered charity number 238372).
Terms and conditions
Full terms and conditions are set out below.
You are required to agree to our full terms and conditions when applying by ticking the box on the application form overleaf.
British Wildlife Open Terms & Conditions of entry
- Submission Deadline: Friday 4th May 2018
- Entries will only be accepted once the submission fee has been paid in full.
- All artworks submitted must be for sale.
- Acceptable media: work may be in any medium including painting, sculpture, photographs and original prints (prints: pleased detail edition and number available).5. The competition is open to anyone except those directly involved in the organisation and judging (including their families and relatives).
- It is open to all established, emerging or amateur artists of any nationality.
- The Open is to celebrate British wildlife and works will not be accepted if of wildlife not found in the UK, pets, farm and domestic animals or of botanical subjects.
- For any photographs submitted as artworks, they will be rejected if in the opinion of the judges it appears that the image has been taken in such a way that wildlife law or animal welfare requirements may have been breached; protected species or habitats have been compromised; or the image has been otherwise taken in an irresponsible way. If you are licenced to take pictures or visit areas which might otherwise be unlawful you should say so, and we may ask to see the licence if your picture is shortlisted. Photographs using model animals or live bait are not permitted.
- A maximum of five artworks may be submitted per entrant and an entry fee of £10 is payable for each artwork entered.
- All submissions are by our online application system (JPG max 5MB) or by post (8×10 inch print on photographic paper) only. Each artist may submit up to five works (painting, sculpture, photography, printmaking etc). Each photograph must be clearly labelled on the back with: Artist name, Title of work, Media, Price (including 45% commission) or online submissions please give the image file name of YOUR LAST NAME, FIRST NAME, ARTWORK TITLE. If you wish us to return your submission photograph please enclose an SAE.
- Fees may be paid by BACS or cheque only. (Online transfer: For the credit of Art Care Education account number 60032464 sort code 60-80-06 and please include the name of the artist as a reference. Cheques should be payable to Art Care Education and please write the name of the artist on the back.)
- Entry forms, payment and full submission must be received by Friday 4th May 2018.
- Works should not be larger than 1.4m along the longest dimension.
- Paintings should be completely dry at the time of delivery.
- Work must have been completed within the last three years.
- 16. Upon successful submission, the artist agrees that images supplied can be used by the ACEarts and Somerset Wildlife Trust in promotion material and if necessary artist will supply high resolution images (between 1-5MB) of selected artworks for use in printed and electronic media and press releases. The artist agrees for these images to be reduced, enlarged or slightly cropped to suit promotional purposes if required.
- Selected artists must supply an artist’s statement and/or CV in Microsoft Word format.
- All artworks shown in the images submitted must be made and designed by the artist (who is also the named person on the submission form) and available for the exhibition. ACEarts and Somerset Wildlife Trust will not accept any substitute artworks. If these terms are not met, ACEarts and Somerset Wildlife Trust retain the right to disqualify submissions without refunding the submitter.
- If your artwork is not selected for display in the exhibition the entry fee WILL NOT be refunded.
- Shortlisted applicants will be required to bring the original artwork(s) to ACEarts to be prepared for judging on Sunday 13th May 2018 11am to 4pm.
- A selection panel will select artworks for the exhibition and from them choose the winners for the prizes. The Judges’ decisions are final.
- The Judges will select the artworks for exhibition and winners on Monday 14th May. The Judges decision is final.
- Notification of selection for exhibition will be by email by Tuesday 29th May 2018.
- Both selected and unsuccessful shortlisted artworks must be collected on Tuesday 15th or Wednesday 16th May 10am to 5pm.
- Delivery to ACEarts for exhibition: Successful applicants must deliver selected artworks to ACEarts, Market Place, Somerton, Somerset TA11 7NB 1st October 2018 10am to 5pm for hanging.
- Each piece of work must be securely ‘hang ready’ on wire or to display eg sculpture. If the work is particularly heavy for hanging, use mirror plates.
- Art deposited at the Gallery must be unwrapped by the artist/deliverer and the wrapping taken away with them.
- Work selected will be insured by ACEarts for the duration of the exhibition. Whilst every care will be taken in the housing and handling of work, no responsibility will be accepted by ACEarts or Somerset Wildlife Trust for any damage that might occur. Artists should insure their work for the period of transit.
- ACEarts reserves the right not to hang all selected works whether this is due to lack of space or any other factor which may affect the overall nature of the exhibition. The decision of the Curator is final. ACEarts and Somerset Wildlife Trust cannot enter into any correspondence or discussion over the decisions made by the Curator.
- All artists selected for exhibition are asked to make themselves available to attend the Private View and Prize-giving at 6pm to 8pm on Friday 5th October.
- Collection of unsold artworks: Monday 5th November from ACEarts 10am-pm. Couriers should be booked to pick up on Monday 5th November 10-5pm. ACEarts and/or Somerset Wildlife Trust will not arrange your courier. ACEarts and Somerset Wildlife Trust will dispose of any artwork not collected within two weeks of the closing of the exhibition.
- Transport and delivery of artworks and any associated costs are dealt with by the artist. ACEarts and Somerset Wildlife Trust will not pay any return postage costs.
- ACEarts and Somerset Wildlife Trust will not insure any artworks delivered against loss, theft, malicious, accidental or environmental damage while it is in transit or in another’s custody. After successful delivery to the gallery and until collection by the artist or designated representative, all items exhibited are fully insured for the duration. Whilst every care will be taken in the housing and handling of work, no responsibility will be accepted by ACEarts or Somerset Wildlife Trust for any damage that might occur.
- Any work not collected by Monday 19th November ACEarts and Somerset Wildlife Trust reserve the right to sell or dispose of the piece/s with proceeds being split equally between ACEarts and Somerset Wildlife Trust.
- ACEarts and Somerset Wildlife Trust agree to promote the exhibition within their respective programmes of events via their: websites; e-newsletters; social media; press releases to local media and in the SWT members’ magazine, Somerset Wildlife.
- ACEarts will take 45% commission on all works sold. ACEarts will collect payment from the purchaser and remunerate the artist 65% of this value by BACS. Bank details will need to be provided by the artist upon request.
- ACEarts and Somerset Wildlife Trust and will each use the communications channels agreed by each entrant when entering for their future respective marketing, and will not share entrants’ personal information with third parties.
- All funds raised through entry fees and commission from the sale of exhibited works, and proceeds from the sale of unsold uncollected works, will be shared equally (50% each) by ACEarts (registered charity number 1166886) and Somerset Wildlife Trust (registered charity number 238372).
- Deadline for entries: 4th May
- Shortlisted original artworks to ACEarts for judging: Sunday 13 May 11am-4pm
- Selection day: 14th May
- Email to artists selected: by 29th May
- Photos and biogs of selected artists: required by 31st July
- Delivery to ACEarts: 1st October
- Private View: 5th October
- Exhibition dates: Exhibition: 6th October to 3rd November
- Collection Dates: 5th November
Selection will be made by
- Simon King OBE, wildlife film-maker and Patron of Somerset Wildlife Trust
- Stewart Geddes PRWA Chair of the Royal West of England Academy
- Frank Martin ACE, Trustee ACEarts
- Nina Gronw-Lewis Curator ACEarts
- Katie Arber, Director of Fundraising & Marketing Somerset Wildlife Trust.